Monday, March 8, 2010

I love our teens! (it's braggin time)


Since this blog thing is all new I thought I'd get in a post about our youth ministry. It's a really big part of our lives, and we just have the greatest kids, seriously! It's so fun to see their different personalities (and how those personalities can change from week to week ha!) Sometimes you wonder, Are they getting it? And then a situation happens or something is said, and you can see the growth that's happening.

On Sunday night the teens had their Youth Service at church. Some kids sang or played music, some gave testimonies about youth group or missions trips they'd been on, and Brent closed with a short challenge to the church family. I was so proud of all of them! (I didn't get any pictures of the Youth Service, but I'll put up some of Wed. night youth group.)

I love that God will use anyone with a willing heart - it doesn't matter our age, or situation in life, or if we've even passed 8th grade yet. All He needs is a willing heart and life and God can handle the rest. Most of these kids deal with so much more than I ever had to, and their ability to love others, be faithful, grow closer to God, and get back up when they've fallen really challenges me to be doing my best in all those areas!

Brent is a really such a good youth pastor. He puts alot of time and work into the teens, but I'm also really amazed by the natural ability he has for it. His patience level far exceeds mine, and he just genuinely loves the kids and loves what he does. And, besides all that, he comes up with the best games for the teens! (One way we know if the teens are going to love something is if I think it's gross haha! If I say, "Ewww gross" to something then the teens usually LOVE it!)

Youth ministry can be hard at times, it's not all video games and Mt. Dew (don't get me wrong, there's alot of video games & Mt. Dew). It can be a lonley exhausting thing, but I think in life though, sometimes the most difficult things are the most rewarding. Our main goal is to help the kids develop a real personl relationship with Christ, not hand them a list of do's and don'ts and hope they figure the rest out at some point. That type of Christianity doesn't last long. So, if you think of it, pray for us and for the kids in our youth group!
So, here's what a typical Wednesday night looks like at Youth Group...


Brent's explaining the game to the kids...

Basically, they hold hands in a circle, and try to make someone hit the pole...

Whoever hits the pole is out...and possibly in need of ice.

Two teams blow up balloons & fill up their person's suit with them.

At the end we count all the balloons in each person's clothes....

Whichever team has the most wins!

After the games we go upstairs for announcements and worship time.

Then Brent gives a lesson, he just finished a series about relationships.

And because it's too stinkin cute, here's Parker thinking he's pretty cool to be hanging out with the big kids!










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Word... that balloon game looks beyond hilarious! LOL

Post a Comment