Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crockpot Homemade Applesauce

My friend Chelsea talked about making this awhile back & inspired me. I don't even like applesauce, but Parker eats it - so I thought I'd try it out. Just call me Suzy Homemaker. (No, please don't...)
As you can see I wasted alot of apple by not peeling them right. I don't have one of those crazy apple peeler things and my patience level for my hand peeler was just not there. So peeled they were, even if not well...

After they're peeled you're supposed to slice them up, but again with the lack of patience, I only sliced about 2 apples before I moved on to the power tools...

Once I added the cut up apples chunks to the food processor I realized that since Parker would be the main one eating this, that making smaller chunks made more sense anyways... so that made me feel better about my laziness.

I threw the apple into a bowl and added one Tbsp. of Cinnamon Sugar. (Next time I might add only 1/2)

Once the cinnamon/sugar is all mixed in, the apples go in the crockpot on low.

And ta-da! 8 hours later this is what you get!

It smelled really good while it was cooking! With the shortcuts I took I think it was definitely worth doing from scratch & I'm sure I'll make it again. Here's the link to the original recipe, and I'll post my version below.





Crockpot Homemade Applesauce

10 medium sized apples (Gala,Yellow Golden Delicious,or Macintosh)
1/2 Tbsp. Cinnamon Sugar (or 1/4 cinnamon & 1/2 sugar)
1/4 cup water
  • Peel and core apples.
  • Place apple pieces in food processor & run until desired size is reached.
  • Place apple in a bowl & stir in cinnamon/sugar until mixed well.
  • Pour water into bottom of crockpot & add apple mixture. (I added a little more water about 1/2 way through cooking time.)
  • Cook on low 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment