Thursday, October 14, 2010

Obedience

I get a devotional type email from a church in Texas, and am always SO challenged by it! Here's a little excerpt that I'm sure I'll be mulling over for a while:

"Though it was for the joy set before Him that Jesus endured the cross (Heb 12:2), His steps toward that cruel cross were not in a lighthearted frame. Furthermore, though He walked resolutely in`to His passion, it was not without the experience of profound and agonizing ambivalence, which He enunciated at Gethsemane. So we say Jesus' obedience was radical in its character because He committed Himself to what He knew
was His Father's will despite His own significant misgivings. He did not insist that His heart be entirely without wistfulness for some other alternative before He would do what was right.

...We also tell it to you to ask a straightforward question: what implications does the radical character of Jesus' obedience have for an issue in your life where your ambivalent feelings might be overshadowing the righteousness of the choice?"

2 comments:

Nicole Hofmann said...

Your post has inspired me... check your facebook inbox. :)

Mom said...

Dad was telling me about this the other day. It really is very good and so challenging. I don't know where you find these wonderful insights, but I always appreciate reading them.

Post a Comment