Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pursuing God

In community group this week, we were asked to rank ourselves on a scale of 1-10 in where we are in our pursuit of God, in our pursuit of holiness. That was a tough one. Not only because I'm not good at that kind of ranking or estimating stuff, but also to realize that my number was probably (definitely) not where it should or I want it to be.

I would have to say I generally reside in the middle area, dipping or rising depending on my circumstances. I can think of times where I was up at that 9-10 area, but how do you maintain a 9 in your pursuit of God!? Challenging, for sure!

When we talked about what were some practical ways we could individually and as a group encourage an increased priority and "growth spurt" in pursuing God, it was awesome to be encouraged that we are never alone in that journey. Not only is God our guide, but He has given us the church to be our support and point us towards Him.

A phrase that has been with me this week is from a book called Respectable Sins and it is talking about our relationship with God and the struggle of how can we ever be like him and less like our sinful nature? The author says we are "responsible yet dependant." This phrase encourages me because it reminds me that yes, I am responsible to seek after wisdom and intentionally follow Christ, but I can be at peace because I am also dependant on His Spirit working in and transforming my life.

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you,
what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
- Ephesians 1:17-21

No comments:

Post a Comment