Friday, January 14, 2011

Planet Earth & Psalms

Brent & I really like watching the Planet Earth series whenever we catch it on TV. We bought part of the dvd's but the whole set was like $200 or something! I'm always so amazed at the vastness & complexity of our world & just marvel that the God who created it all knows me by name.

This week I came across Psalms 42:1, a familiar Bible verse (and very 90's worship song haha!) but it really stood out to me in a way it hasn't before.

"As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God."

When I read it it, I began thinking about the Planet Earth episode about animal migration for water. I can't remember the exact numbers (and Google was NO help) but these caribou and other animals will travel in huge numbers for great distances for a drink of water. They walk through dangerous and difficult places with one goal in mind. They might die in pursuit of this one goal, but it's what drives them to live & move forward.

When I think of it in those terms the metaphor is so much more real to my heart. It's not Bambi surrounded by bunnies and birds sipping from a gentle stream, it's a group and a family risking everything for the one thing that will give them life. I want my desire and drive for God to be as strong as that! To be able to recognize the one thing worth living for is Him and nothing should move me from that goal.




No comments:

Post a Comment