Monday, June 28, 2010

Amazing Love - Part I

God calls Himself our Father and us His children.

I John 3:1
"See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God;
and so we are."

As a Christian, it's such a common reference. I'm sure there are probably many who've never stepped foot in a church who've heard phrases like "God the Father" or "God's children" before. But when I stop to think about what it really means to be a child of God, I am overwhelmed and humbled. I think being a mom helps me to understand it even further. And even though the parent/child relationship is only a very small picture of what God's love for His children is, I can't help but look to it and marvel that a perfect God could love such imperfect people. Here's some ways I try to better grasp God's amazing love:

Unconditional Love.
Parker doesn't have to do anything for me to love him, and there's nothing he could do to make me not love him. I love him for the simple fact that he is. Because he's my son. I love him before myself and there's nothing I wouldn't do for his best interest.

Can you believe God loves you like that? More than that! His ability to love far surpasses what we could ever imagine, and it can withstand anything.

Romans 8:38-39
"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Discipline and Direction.
I can't let Parker do whatever he wants. He thinks he knows what he's doing when he takes silverware out of the dishwasher, but he doesn't know what I know. He doesn't know that there's a sharp knife that will cut him and hurt him. When I tell him no, he doesn't like me, and he probably thinks I'm pretty mean. Often he doesn't listen the first time and my warnings to stop have to become firmer and tougher at times.

God does the same thing with us. Whether we are in a state outside of God's will, or He's simply keeping us on His path, there are times when God has to get our attention. We might think we know what's best, but we don't know what God knows. He wants the best for us even when we don't understand why He's allowing the things He allows or withholding the things He withholds. The fact that God cares about our choices tells me what a loving Father he is!

Hebrews 12:5-6
"My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the ones he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

I'm so thankful that being a mom has allowed me to better understand God as my Heavenly Father! I know I still only have a microscopic vision of what His love is, but as I grow more as a Christian, I see how unworthy I am of that love and I'm so humbled by it.
Part II is seeing myself as a child of the Father.
(This would have been just waaay to long to do in one post haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment