Friday, September 17, 2010

Heartbreaking

*I wanted to edit my previous post after I found out some more (small) details of the situation.*

There's a parking lot behind our building, and in the corner of the parking lot is a run down looking small apartment building. Our windows and balcony look out over it all. Yesterday several police cars and an ambulance were pulled up to the building and were there quite a while before someone was brought out and put into the backseat in handcuffs.

When I looked out a little while later there were two small children, a boy and a girl maybe 2 and 3, standing by the police officers and their cars. For a minute I hoped they were just kids from the building interested in all the excitement. But when I saw the officers trying to keep them in one spot and asking them to sit down, I knew they were with the officers because whoever they had been with at home was now going to jail.

The officers and the kids were out there for a really long time just waiting. My heart absolutely broke with this helpless feeling of sadness for them. After a while the Lord laid it on my heart to see about taking them some snacks. I threw a bunch of food into two bags, grabbed 2 water bottles, grabbed Parker and headed down to the parking lot. I asked the police officers if the kids could have some snacks, and after wondering out loud if they were allergic to anything they said yes. One officer said thanks and told me their mom was just taken to jail, and they were waiting for social services.

I thanked the police officers for doing what they do and turned around to head back towards our building. The second I turned from the officer the tears were streaming down my face. What were a few snacks compared to being taken from their home? I'm sure the people in the elevator with me thought I was crazy, but I didn't care. The experience confirmed in my heart the desire to be involved in foster care and adoption someday.

I hope you'll say a prayer for the broken and hurting families today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh girl, thank you for sharing this story - I will be praying!

Unknown said...

"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." I John 3:17-18

It may seem like an insignificant act in the course of your day, but thanks for loving the hurt and broken. Praying with you and thanking God that he brought you to Denver so we can minister to our community together...

Claire said...

Thank you so much for sharing that Courtney, really was blessed to read that verse! :)

Mom said...

Oh Claire --What a sad situation. What must have those little 2 and 3 year old minds been thinking?. I am so grateful that you didn't let anything stop you from helping --even if you think it wasn't much. You have had a lot of challenges, but clearly this is where you are meant to be. We are SO PROUD of you and Brent!

Post a Comment